Friday, August 25, 2017

When Do You Pack?

Knowing when to pack can be tricky. Some people (mostly men) can pack the hour before they leave for the airport and not miss one little detail. Others start making lists and setting things aside weeks or even months in advance. I fall into the latter group.

I pack early for several reasons, the primary one being that I just can’t help myself. Even though I travel frequently, I still get very excited about each and every trip. I also want each and every trip to go as smoothly as possible. Making lists and packing early helps to facilitate that.

In addition to any personality quirks that you might have, when you pack depends on where you are going and what your personal needs are.

For example, when I visit my mother’s house in Florida, I can pack in one hour. We have a washer and dryer there, so that limits the amount of clothing I must take. We only do beaches and amusement parks, so even haircare, makeup and shoe needs are minimal. Packing for that trip truly is as simple as can be.

However, when we go to Europe, it’s a different story. In addition to clothes and makeup, I take umbrellas, power converters, snacks, electronics, a universal flat iron, maps and much, much more. My next trip across the pond is several weeks away but I’m already making a list and checking it twice.

Oh, let’s get real here – I am already half packed. It’s ridiculous, I know. Why in the world would anyone pack their bags so far in advance of a trip? The simple fact is that I do it because I enjoy it.
I’ve heard that the total enjoyment of any positive experience is 1/3 anticipation, 1/3 experiencing it and 1/3 recalling it when all is said and done. I wholeheartedly agree. Taking my time packing makes it a fun, enjoyable experience rather than a stressful one and it adds to the overall enjoyment of the trip.

My granddaughter recently convinced me of the joys of using packing cubes, so I ordered this set from Amazon. 
$15.99 Packing Cube Set

Actually, I started with the bra barrel and liked it so well that I ordered the whole matching set.
$6.66 Bra Barrel

During last year’s long road trip to Canada, I found myself digging around in frustration for clean underwear that had shifted around with other things in the suitcase. I used the barrel on a short trip not long ago and congratulated myself for spending $6.66 so wisely.


No comments:

Post a Comment