Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Florida Spring Break Tips

This will be a short post for those of you who head to Florida during Spring Break.  There are things that you should be doing now if you plan on visiting the Sunshine State during March or April.
Here's what I've been doing to prepare for this year's trip:
  • I've scheduled a major maintenance appointment for my car.  I want us all to be safe and the car to be reliable while we are on the road.  If you plan on renting a car or flying, make those arrangements as soon as you can. 
  • I've "secured my lodging" by informing my mother of my travel dates (we stay at her house).  If you need to book a hotel or condo, do it as soon as you can.  The demand for decent rooms is high in the spring. 
  • I've ordered my amusement park tickets.  I order them on-line and have them held at will-call.  I could have them mailed to me but I prefer to pick them up at the will-call window.  That way I don't have to worry about my tickets being lost or stolen before we get there.  The line at will-call is practically non-existent if you get there just before the park opens
  • If you're going to Disney, make your special dining reservations now.  Those restaurants are completely booked weeks in advance. 
  • I've made arrangements to have my dog taken care of while we are away.  Don't wait too late in the season to make your arrangements because kennels tend to fill up just as quickly as the Disney restaurants. 
  • I bought string backpacks and have started assembling swag bags for the kids (see my 3/21/12 post on this topic).  I've also ordered a couple of Mark Twain audio books for family friendly entertainment.
  • I've started filling a small cup with quarters for the Florida toll roads.  It's not unusual for us to spend $12.00 to $20.00 on tolls while we're criss-crossing the state. 
  • Just before I go, I'll check my credit card that offers cash back rewards in the form of Disney Dollars and I'll redeem those points for gift cards that can be used at Disney restaurants and stores.
  • Last of all, as soon as the neighborhood Girl Scouts start peddling cookies, I'll buy a few boxes and stick them in the freezer until it's time for our trip.  I can't remember the last time I drove to Florida without a couple of boxes of Girl Scout cookies in the road trip snack stash.
We are ready to roll out of here and have a great time.  I hope that I get to see you at the Happiest Place on Earth this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment