Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Traveling Shoes

Most travel experts will tell you to limit the number of shoes you take to two or three pair, and that’s pretty good advice. Shoes can be heavy and bulky.

The two most important things to consider is where you are going and what you will be doing. If you’re going to a tropical resort for a few days and won’t be doing much other than laying on the beach, just bring your flip-flops and maybe a pair of dressier sandals.

However, if you’re heading off to Europe, you can expect to encounter uneven sidewalks, cobblestone walks and steep stairs. So, for this post, I’m going to focus on those challenges.


Flats

I talked about my favorite flats in a recent post. I like to wear them when flying because they are easy on and off, and quite comfy. They are also non-slip and I can cover a lot of airport ground in these. They also work great as house slippers. They are as sturdy as sneakers but considerably dressier. They are acceptable for all but the dressiest occasions.


Sperry on Amazon


Hiking Boots

I pack my hiking boots if there’s the slightest chance I’ll need them. The day that I found myself walking up a steep, twisty turret to kiss the Blarney Stone, I was glad that I’d worn my hiking boots rather than my cute booties. The steps were crooked and slick with rain. If I’d worn the cute booties, my climb would have been a bit risky. They were worth the weight and the space they took up in the suitcase.

Some writers say that you should wear your heaviest shoes during transit rather than packing them but my personal preference is to throw them in my bag. If my luggage gets lost, I’d rather have my cute, versatile flats with me than my hiking boots. I just can’t see imagine to tea at Harrods wearing hiking boots.

Available in black and brown on Amazon

Heels

High heels are my vanity item. While I could get by without them on most trips, I like to take them for evenings out. I don’t have to take them but they do ramp up an outfit for a special evening out. Plus, sometimes after wearing hiking boots all day, it feels good to slip into something more feminine for the evening.

 


Low Price on Amazon

Bonus Shoes

I break the three pair rule with what I call my bonus shoes, something little and light that can fold up and be toted around in a purse. Folding flip-flops or ballet slippers can get you back from a late-night concert or dinner if your high heels are bothering you. I remember leaving the London theatre district one night only to find that the part of the Tube that we need to take was down. We had to do a considerable amount of unplanned walking. Oh, how I longed for those ballet slippers that night.




No comments:

Post a Comment