Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fun Weekend in Chicago

This past weekend, I attended my first Strictly Sail in Chicago show and had an absolute ball.  Strictly Sail is an annual four-day boat show featuring gorgeous, high-end sailboats and a whole boatload (yes, I said boatload) of fun sailing stuff.

We paid $15 per person for a Saturday ticket.  What a bargain!  Our $15 investment allowed us to climb aboard several luxury yachts, shop for boat accessories and attend four informative seminars. Seminars took place all day long but we only had time to hit four.  I am fairly new to sailing and I feel as though I learned quite a bit.  The whole day was fun, educational and inspiring.  The show has both a Facebook page and a website,  http://www.strictlysail.com.
 
We found a nice affordable Doubletree Hilton on Ohio Street.  It is a warm and welcoming facility, plus when you check in, everyone in your party gets a big, warm cookie.  How can you not love that?  The location of this Doubletree cannot be beat – it sits halfway between Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue, making it perfect for Mag Mile dining and shopping.  The hotel has on-site parking for $45 a night but you can park in the area around the hotel for $35-$39.  We parked at the garage just across the street and paid $39. 

We enjoyed a casual, cozy dinner at Giordano’s on Rush Street.  As we arrived at prime dinner time on Saturday night, we had to wait 45 minutes.  I generally don’t wait more than 20 minutes for a table but we were already there, it was very cold outside and they had a nice warm bar, so we opted to wait.  I was so glad that we did.  The food and the service were excellent.  I didn’t keep track of bar bill, but our huge pizza and salad for two came to roughly $40.00.  It was a great, genuine Chicago deep-dish pizza experience.  I enjoyed it so much that I now plan on taking my girls there when we make our trip back to the city in August.  Check out their menu at http://giordanos.com.
Little overnight trips are a great way to shake off the winter blues.  My trip to Chicago certainly did that for me.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment